Sunday, June 21, 2020

Why Inspiration is Vital

 
What Makes an Artist Tick?
One of the questions I often ponder when thinking to myself, is what precisely fuels an artist to paint their next masterpiece? Some thoughts come to mind - the artist is simply eager to see its completion or maybe a profit is sought to be made. Then I think to myself that it has to be something deeper. A more underlying element. When it comes down to the core of what drives an artist, I find it to be inspiration.

What is inspiration, exactly?
The word "inspiration" when broken down means "inspired" for "creation". In other words, before you do any activity at all, including painting, you have to be excited or stimulated at some level. This rings true for everything, but especially in art. Inspiration, the type we commonly imagine as that magical vision or moment that drives us to paint that next fantastic piece, is inspiration of a high degree. I find it absolutely vital when it comes to staying fresh and enthusiastic about your works. There's a world of difference in viewing a painting that was quickly put together with little thought compared to a stunning vision that was captured on canvas for countless hours.

Being Practical with Your Inspiration
How does anyone stay inspired though, especially in this day and age? I like to think I'm level headed and practical most of the time, so I understand how taking this in can sound nauseating when all you hear is, "stay inspired" or "be positive"constantly. A lot easier said than done at times, I surely admit. I personally do not go around spreading rainbows and sunshine while I gleefully walk with a fake smile on my face, pretending everything's alright. I'm human and we all being human, have emotions that just come and go. So, my best advice is to see inspiration as a state of mind. Just remembering that, is enough to help in big ways you may not see at first. Remembering that feeling inspired is a state of mind is important because it allows you to be in the present moment and to be authentic to yourself. Have no expectations and don't go forcefully searching for inspiration like a detective either. Accept what you're feeling but don't own those feelings as who you are. In time, in your own way, you will be open to inspiration and it will find you.

There's No Right or Wrong
If you are ready to open up and feel what you really want to feel, some great ways of getting inspired are by visiting museums, attending an art class, taking a walk among nature, joining an art club or online group, visiting a gallery or just kick back and watch some Bob Ross! I promise you this - when inspired, you will create some of your greatest works to date!


Written Originally July 21, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment